Creamed Onions and Carrots Recipe
- 8 cups water
- 2 pounds pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in carrots and onions.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 151 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Creamed Onions and Carrots
"This is an excellent side dish, very nice change."
"I have been making creamed onions for years, but this was the first time I had ever even had creamed onions and carrots together and it was delicious. It was so good with an After Thanksgiving eggs Benedict I made. yummy"