Preparing this side dish a day ahead of time gives the pleasant flavors time to meld, plus it makes the holiday itself easier on me!—Ardis Rollefson, Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- 8 cups water
- 2 pounds pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in carrots and onions.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Onions and Carrots in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p6
Reviews for Creamed Onions and Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review