Creamed New Potatoes
My mother always made this dish with sour cream, but I substituted buttermilk and added more herbs. Thyme and tarragon give these saucy potatoes a fresh taste I really enjoy.
-Lillian Julow, Gainesville, Florida
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds unpeeled small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or
- until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the cream cheese and
- buttermilk; cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted
- and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat; add the onions, thyme,
- tarragon and pepper.
- Drain potatoes and place in a serving bowl; add cream sauce and toss
- to coat. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 292 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 563 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.