Lorraine Foss PUYALLUP, WASHINGTON This might look like potato salad, but it’s actually kohlrabi cubes covered in a white, velvety sauce and accented with chives. Kohlrabi is a favorite vegetable of mine.
- 4 cups cubed peeled kohlrabies (about 6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- 1 egg yolk, llightly beaten
- Minced chives and additional paprika
- Place kohlrabies in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Stir in the salt, pepper and paprika. Gradually stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Drain kohlrabies and place in a serving bowl; add sauce and stir to coat. Sprinkle with chives and additional paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Kohlrabi in Country Extra September 2008, p49
Reviews for Creamed Kohlrabi
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review