Creamed Ham on Toast
Meet the Cook: Whether for breakfast or brunch - or lunch or supper - this recipe has been popular in our family for years. It is one that my grandmother passed down.
Home for my husband, me and our children, 5 and 2, is a country town.
-Robin Morton, Ripley, Mississippi
2-3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Egg, chopped
- 5 slices process American cheese, quartered
- 3 slices toast, cut into triangles
- In a skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and celery in butter for
- 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until smooth and bubbly. Add
- the milk, pepper and celery seed; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for
- 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add egg and cheese; stir until
- cheese melts. Serve over toast. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 451 calories, 26 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 155 mg cholesterol, 1,320 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.