Denise Hershman of Cromwell, Indiana tops pieces of corn bread with a cheesy sauce chock-full of ham to make a satisfying and economical supper. "At only 45 cents a serving, this is one budget meal our family loves," she writes.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- CREAMED HAM:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large bowl, combine the corn bread mix, egg and milk until blended. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, mustard and salt until smooth. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and heat through. Cut corn bread into squares; top with creamed ham. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Ham on Corn Bread in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p51
Reviews for Creamed Ham on Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review