Creamed Ham in Toast Cups Recipe
My grandmother taught me many of her recipes in show-and-cook sessions. Usually, we had this dish on Mondays, following a Sunday lunch of ham, peas and corn. These buttery cups are one of my favorite ways to use leftover ingredients.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 8 slices bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1. Remove and discard crusts from bread; using a rolling pin, flatten to 1/8-in. thickness. Butter both sides of each slice, using 1/4 cup of butter.
- 2. Press into eight greased muffin cups or 6-oz. custard cups. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour and pepper. Gradually stir in milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- 4. Stir in the ham, peas and corn. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through. Pour into warm toast cups; sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 793 calories, 55 g fat (31 g saturated fat), 189 mg cholesterol, 1,495 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC