Creamed Ham and Asparagus Recipe
To be truthful, asparagus is my least favorite vegetable. But I make an exception with this recipe my mom and I came up with together. The ham and cheese really lend a tasty difference. Now that our parents are retired, my brothers and I have taken over the family farm. We milk 200 Holsteins.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 pound fresh or frozen asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked ham, cubed
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Toast points or biscuits
- 1. In a saucepan, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in cornstarch, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Add parsley, ham, eggs, cheese and asparagus; cook and stir over low heat until ham is warmed and cheese is melted. Serve over toast points or biscuits. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 805 calories, 72 g fat (43 g saturated fat), 339 mg cholesterol, 2,606 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC