Creamed Grouse on Toast Recipe
- 2 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 grouse or squab (3/4 to 1 pound each)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Toast or hot cooked rice
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, bring water, bay leaf and grouse to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender. Remove grouse. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Strain broth; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add flour. Stir in the broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add grouse and heat through. Add cream and parsley. Heat through. Serve over toast; garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Grouse on Toast in Taste of Home December/January 1997, p37
Reviews for Creamed Grouse on Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review