- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place peas and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes and peas; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Creamed Garden Potatoes and Peas
"This recipe was awesome! Everyone loved it,but my question is...... is it only supposed to be served warm?"
"Oh my, this was really good! My personal tastes dictate that it would be a solid 5-star recipe by adding some cubed hickory ham and leaving out the onion."
"Very good but cut the amount of peas in half."
"One of my fav things with fresh garden vegies. I use fresh fright out of the pod peas , baby potatoes and baby carrots to.. Then either green onions or chives, which ever I have left. We like the sauce fairly thick, so everything gets coated. So good !!!"
"This recipe looks like one that has been in my family for at least 5 generations. We have always called it 'Potaten'. The only difference is we add new tiny carrots and use pearl onions. We also add a tablespoon of sugar. It is delicious, especially with all new veggies from the garden."