Creamed Garden Potatoes and Peas Recipe
New potatoes and peas are treated to a creamy sauce for this special side. —Jane Uphoff, Cunningham, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, place peas and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 3. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes and peas; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup equals 156 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC