- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place peas and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes and peas; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Creamed Garden Potatoes and Peas
Sort By :
"This recipe looks like one that has been in my family for at least 5 generations. We have always called it 'Potaten'. The only difference is we add new tiny carrots and use pearl onions. We also add a tablespoon of sugar. It is delicious, especially with all new veggies from the garden."
"I am definitely no Betty crocker :) I'm just learning to cook, I found this recipe because my grandma used to make the best peas and potatoes!! My family loves onions so I used about 1/4 c and honestly it could use more.. and fallowing another comment I too like it thicker, I used 1 cup half/half and 1 cup milk it came out perfect consistency. It simmered about two more minutes then needed. Tastes almost like my grandmas thank you :)"
"Tasted like pot pie filling. So that's what I did with the leftovers."
"I have got to make these as this is something my mother used to make and I loved them."
"This is favorite of my family and especially my son. Haven't made this in several years but will surprise my son when he is visiting here in the Fall."