- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place peas and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes and peas; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Creamed Garden Potatoes and Peas(19)
Sort By :
Very good! I did double the onion as suggested by others. Next time I'll also cut the milk by about 1/2 c. to make it thicker. We thought it was a little too runny.
This recipe was pretty good, but I made some changes. I used steamable frozen peas so they could easily just be cooked in the microwave. I only made half the recipe (becuase it's just my husband & I) but I increased the onions. Also, I felt the cream sauce was a little bland...I added more salt, thyme & sage. When it was all done the dish was flavorful, creamy & sweet from the peas. Will definitely make again.
Made half recipe only my husband and I but kept the onion amount the same. Used whole milk only. Very good.
It was o.k. but too rich for my taste. It was too much trouble to make for it not to be any better than it was.
This recipe was AMAZING!!!! I didn't have red potatoes on hand, but used Russets and the recipe was still Yummy. Even better the next day!!! A couple of small changes, didn't saute onions, but added green onion/scallion and added a tblspn or so of sugar.
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >