Creamed Fresh Spinach
This flavorful no-frills side dish is a great way to incorporate the nutritious leafy greens into a meal. My mom always included creamed spinach or carrots on our holiday menu.
White Stone, Virginia
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 packages (9 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Place spinach in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil;
- reduce heat. Cover and steam just until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Drain; chop and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour
- until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the onion, salt
- and pepper. Fold in spinach; heat through.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 191 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.