This flavorful no-frills side dish is a great way to incorporate the nutritious leafy greens into a meal. My mom always included creamed spinach or carrots on our holiday menu. -Rosemarie Forcum White Stone, Virginia
Recommended: 25 Fast Spring Veggie Sides
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 packages (9 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Place spinach in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and steam just until wilted, about 4 minutes. Drain; chop and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the onion, salt and pepper. Fold in spinach; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Fresh Spinach in Taste of Home December/January 2004, p35
Reviews forCreamed Fresh Spinach
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review