Creamed Chicken in Patty Shells Recipe
My mom's tasty creamed chicken makes a wonderful main dish, and when you add extra vegetables, it becomes an entire meal. The recipe might look long, but it's well worth the effort. -Mared Metzger Beling, Eagle River, Alaska
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen puff pastry shells
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup small fresh broccoli florets
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large kettle, bring the chicken, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; cool. Remove meat from bones; cut into cubes and set aside. Discard skin and bones. Drain broth and skim fat; set aside 1 cup broth (refrigerate remaining broth for another use).
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and broccoli in butter until tender; sprinkle with flour. Gradually stir in milk and reserved broth until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pimientos, paprika, reserved chicken and remaining salt and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through. Spoon into pastry shells. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Chicken in Patty Shells in Taste of Home April/May 2003, p35
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamed Chicken in Patty Shells(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 28, 2010
Made this MANY times and we love it!
I've even made it dairy free for one of my allergic children.