- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 4 pounds)
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 8 to 10 frozen puff pastry shells
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushroom, sliced
- 1 can (5 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Place the chicken, onion, celery, water, 1 teaspoon salt and peppercorns in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; set aside until cool enough to handle. Bake pastry shells according to package directions.
- Remove chicken from bones; cut into cubes and set aside. Discard skin and bones. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and peppercorns. Set aside 2 cups broth (save remaining broth for another use).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add reserved broth, nutmeg, pepper and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the mushrooms, water chestnuts, pimientos, lemon juice and chicken. Return to the heat. Gradually stir in cream and heat through (do not boil). Spoon into pastry shells. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Chicken in a Basket in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p29
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamed Chicken in a Basket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review