Creamed Chicken 'n' Biscuits Recipe
We have a dairy farm and three young children, so I'm always on the lookout for easy, hearty meals like this one. Using leftover or canned chicken, I can whip up this entree in minutes. To save even more time, I sometimes serve the hot chicken mixture on buns.—Shari Zimmerman Deford, Michigan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- CREAMED CHICKEN:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk or chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add milk and oil. Stir until the dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead 8-10 times or until smooth.
- 2. Roll or pat dough into a 6-in. square about 1 in. thick. Cut into six rectangles. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken and parsley; cook until heated through. Split biscuits; top with the creamed chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 502 calories, 27 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 863 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC