- 3 pounds fresh carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, bring carrots and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain carrots. Drizzle with cream sauce and toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Creamed Carrots
Sort By :
I found these carrots quite tasty! I DID scale back on this recipe and I used 1 lb. peeled baby carrots & I'd cooked them in a combination of chicken broth & water until crisp-tender and I did simmer the carrots over low heat until bubbling and I used a sharp knife to test the texture of some of the carrots! For the sauce, I used: 1 Tbsp. butter, 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper & 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. 2% REDUCED-FAT MILK instead of the cream to trim off SOME of the calories which are quite high in butter and half/half or regular cream! I just brought the butter, flour, salt, pepper and cream to a boil and stirred until thickened. I didn't time the sauce, but I did watch to make sure that it didn't burn! It came out smooth and I drizzled the sauce over the carrots and tossed them! A tip my Mom recently shared with me: rather than bring water to a boil for cooking, then adding the vegetables, it helped our household to cook the veggies and water together until tender! I am aware that folks have their tried and true methods of cooking veggies! NOTE: I kept the baby carrots as is! I didn't slice them! I think they looked quite nice in the sauce! Thank you, Sue Davis, for your Laura Ingalls Wilder theme meal!~I have the whole series, too & LOVE reading them! delowenstein
These carrots were okay, they just didn't have a lot of flavor.