Fat-free half-and-half cream lends a rich flair to Barbara Richard's healthy recipe. "The thick and tasty soup is especially satisfying on cold winter days," she writes from Houston, Ohio.
Featured In: 27 Apple Recipes to Make this Fall
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 6 cups sliced carrots (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the broth, carrots, potatoes, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender, puree carrot mixture in batches. Return to the pan. Stir in half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Soup in Light & Tasty October 2005, p27
Reviews for Creamed Carrot Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review