Creamed Carrot Soup
Fat-free half-and-half cream lends a rich flair to Barbara Richard's healthy recipe. "The thick and tasty soup is especially satisfying on cold winter days," she writes from Houston, Ohio.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 6 cups sliced carrots (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add
- the broth, carrots, potatoes, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or
- until vegetables are very tender.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender,
- puree carrot mixture in batches. Return to the pan. Stir in
- half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 133 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 995 mg sodium,