Creamed Carrot Coins
Lois uses her white sauce in this comforting treatment for attractive carrot coins that her grandmother handed down. "We usually served this when we had company," she recalls.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 medium carrots (1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup Basic White Sauce (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Place carrots and
- onion in a steamer basket over the boiling water; cover and steam
- for 8-10 minutes or until crisp tender. Remove basket; drain liquid
- and return vegetables to the pan. Add white sauce, butter, parsley,
- salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 206 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 476 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.