Creamed Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds) , shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, combine the broth, celery, cabbage, onion and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Combine cream and milk; gradually add to flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham and thyme and heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 cup: 220 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Creamed Cabbage Soup
"we make this every year for New Years. The only thing we change is mix a little jalapeno juice in with the chicken broth and diced jalapenos with the cabbage and cook. We like a little kick with our soup! My dad hates cabbage, and loves this soup. So good!"
"I make this soup a few times each winter. My family absolutely love it. for a neat twist that kids love, switch out the green cabbage with red cabbage. Then this tasty soup becomes Purple Soup."
"will try sausage next time."
"Wonderful, it a hit. I modified it by eliminating the ham. I first browned 1 lb. of sausage, then added the vegetables and broth and contined as the recipe stated."