Creamed Cabbage and Ham Soup Recipe
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine broth and vegetables. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Gradually add milk and cream; cook and stir until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham, salt, pepper and thyme; heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 262 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1262mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein
Reviews for Creamed Cabbage and Ham Soup
"this was good"
"This was surprisingly good!"
"This is a really good cabbage soup. My grandsons loved this soup and normally do not eat cabbage."