Creamed Cabbage and Ham Soup Recipe
Here's a delicious use of the ham and cabbage combination. A thick and hearty soup combined with subtle flavors, it is a favorite meal on our table during the winter months.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine broth and vegetables. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Gradually add milk and cream; cook and stir until thickened. Stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham, salt, pepper and thyme; heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 262 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,262 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC