Creamed Broccoli and Cauliflower
You can change the cheese in this recipe to suit your tastes. I use whatever I have on hand. Cheddar adds a nice flavor.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup fresh cauliflowerets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 slice American cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place the first three ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until
- vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain and keep warm. In another small
- saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Bring
- to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce
- heat. Add American and Parmesan cheeses; cook and stir until cheeses
- are melted. Pour over vegetables and serve with additional Parmesan
- cheese if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 155 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.