Creamed Asparagus Soup Recipe
It's not difficult to fix a batch of this smooth, comforting soup. It has wonderful homemade goodness. A singe steaming bowl really warms me up...but I usually can't resist going back for seconds. —Veva Hepler, Walla Walla, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, asparagus and tarragon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a blender or food processor, puree the asparagus mixture, a third at a time; set aside.
- 3. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the pureed asparagus and lemon juice and heat through. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 224 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 462 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC