This easy soup mix is a wonderful substitute for canned cream soup in a recipe. It’s great to have on hand for those nights when you need to whip up supper in a hurry. —DeAnn Alleva, Worthington, Ohio
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Use as a substitute for half of a 10-3/4-oz. can of condensed cream of chicken, mushroom or celery soup.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk 2/3 cup water and 3 tablespoons soup mix. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, whisking occasionally.
- For mushroom soup, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sauteed sliced mushrooms. For celery soup, add 1/8 teaspoon celery salt or one sauteed sliced or chopped celery rib.
- Homemade Cream-Style Soup Mix may be used to prepare the following recipes: Grilled Chicken with Cream Sauce and Seafood Thermidor. Yield: 3 cups (16 batches).
Originally published as Homemade Cream-Style Soup Mix in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p17
Reviews for Cream-Style Soup Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review