- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Use as a substitute for half of a 10-3/4-oz. can of condensed cream of chicken, mushroom or celery soup.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk 2/3 cup water and 3 tablespoons soup mix. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, whisking occasionally.
- For mushroom soup, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sauteed sliced mushrooms. For celery soup, add 1/8 teaspoon celery salt or one sauteed sliced or chopped celery rib.
- Homemade Cream-Style Soup Mix may be used to prepare the following recipes: Grilled Chicken with Cream Sauce and Seafood Thermidor. Yield: 3 cups (16 batches).
Reviews for Cream-Style Soup Mix
Sort By :
"I predict this powdered soup starter will become a staple in my pantry. I hate using "canned" soups in recipes because of sodium, fat, etc. (not to mention preservative) contents. This is a much healthier version and I don't have to worry about using it for meals I prepare for my gluten-free friends!"
"What a great idea, especially because my favorite cream soup is now up to $1.65 per can. This sounds like a good alternative. Just had to say thanks to DeAnn from Worthington OH - I grew up there. :-)"
"Good. Can tweak seasonings and salt as desired. Thickens very well. I quit buying the canned stuff."
"Very nice. It thickened well and tasted good. Next time I will use reduced sodium boullion."
"I love to keep this on hand. I have opening a can of soup just to use half; this makes life much easier."