Cream Soup Mix
This easy-to-make soup mix is great to keep on hand for those nights you need to whip up a satisfying supper in a hurry. It's a great substitute for canned cream soup in a recipe. Or, add leftover chicken, asparagus or mushrooms, for example, and you'll have a steaming bowl of delicious soup in minutes.—Kay Beard, Vass, North Carolina
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight
- For a condensed cream soup substitute: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4
- cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over
- medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- Use as a substitute for one 10-3/4-oz.-can condensed cream of
- chicken, celery or mushroom soup.
- For 1-1/2 cups soup: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/2 cups water in a
- small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/3 cup mix equals 152 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat-free milk.