Cream Soup Mix Recipe
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
- 2. For a condensed cream soup substitute: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4 cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Use as a substitute for one 10-3/4-oz.-can condensed cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup.
- 3. For 1-1/2 cups soup: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/2 cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 3 cups.
1/3 cup mix equals 152 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat-free milk.