Cream Soup Mix Recipe
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
- For a condensed cream soup substitute: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4 cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Use as a substitute for one 10-3/4-oz.-can condensed cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup.
- For 1-1/2 cups soup: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/2 cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews for Cream Soup Mix
Sort By :
"This is excellent! Makes an excellent soup and does not need any salt at all. I made a happy mistake and added to much onion powder. I will moderate it some next time - but what a delicious mistake. The only problem is the onion powder over powers anything else I try to add so I will follow the recipe better next time - but great cream of onion ;). Great consistency and really just delicious."
"Donnalee2- I don't know if this applies to your situation, but cornstarch, if heated for prolonged periods of time, loses it's thickening properties. Therefore, a recipe that is thickened with cornstarch will start out thick and then thin out again. Flour, on the other hand, does not loose it's thickening properties with prolonged heat."
"I keep this dry mix on hand at all times! Condensed soup is so expensive! But also very useful in casseroles and chicken pies. So, I use this mix. I did delete the basil and thyme for my "base mixture". When I am ready for it, I season according to what dish I am using it for. Excellent!"
"This has saved me so much money! I love this recipe! As a bonus, it's low fat/calorie!"
"One of my favorite recipes! This mix is versatile, I use it most often in the crock pot and as a quick gravy. Want a brown gravy, just add a little browning sauce. Read the nutritional analysis, the mix has 10 grams of protein per serving, canned cream soup has 1 gram."