Cream Soup Mix Recipe
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
- For a condensed cream soup substitute: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4 cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Use as a substitute for one 10-3/4-oz.-can condensed cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup.
- For 1-1/2 cups soup: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/2 cups water in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews for Cream Soup Mix
Sort By :
This is excellent! Makes an excellent soup and does not need any salt at all. I made a happy mistake and added to much onion powder. I will moderate it some next time - but what a delicious mistake. The only problem is the onion powder over powers anything else I try to add so I will follow the recipe better next time - but great cream of onion ;). Great consistency and really just delicious.
Donnalee2- I don't know if this applies to your situation, but cornstarch, if heated for prolonged periods of time, loses it's thickening properties. Therefore, a recipe that is thickened with cornstarch will start out thick and then thin out again. Flour, on the other hand, does not loose it's thickening properties with prolonged heat.
I keep this dry mix on hand at all times! Condensed soup is so expensive! But also very useful in casseroles and chicken pies. So, I use this mix. I did delete the basil and thyme for my "base mixture". When I am ready for it, I season according to what dish I am using it for. Excellent!
This has saved me so much money! I love this recipe! As a bonus, it's low fat/calorie!
One of my favorite recipes! This mix is versatile, I use it most often in the crock pot and as a quick gravy. Want a brown gravy, just add a little browning sauce. Read the nutritional analysis, the mix has 10 grams of protein per serving, canned cream soup has 1 gram.