- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipped cream, divided
- Chocolate sauce and/or fresh raspberries, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil over medium heat. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Spread onto the bottom and halfway up the sides of a well-greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine the sugar, flour and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Fold in 1 cup of whipped cream. Pour into the crust. Top with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Garnish with chocolate sauce and/or raspberries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cream Puff Pie
"Very great tasting. Would cut down on the sugar to 1/2 cup and increase the flour. pie does not set up so would increase flour by 2 tablespoons. This recipe is a keeper regardless of the changes."
"Turned out wonderful!!"
"This is so much faster and easier than making individual cream puffs. After the crust cooled I coated the inside with chocolate ganache. Excellent recipe!"
"This is a really good recipe! I added sliced bananas and it turned out very yummy!"