Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup Recipe
This creamy, comforting soup really chases away the chills on cold fall or winter nights. Turn to this recipe when you need to use up leftover turkey from a holiday meal.
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a soup kettle, combine 3 cups broth, mushrooms, onions, carrots, rice and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk and the remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to rice mixture. Add turkey and Worcestershire sauce; heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 9 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Wild Rice Turkey Soup in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p53
Reviews for Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review