Here's a surefire chill chaser for Linda Parkhurst of Brooklyn, Michigan. “Even those who don’t like tomato soup love this winter treat,” she writes. “It’s awesome with the seasoned homemade oyster crackers.” Linda asked "Light & Tasty" magazine to lighten up the recipe for her. Find the delicious revamp in the Dec/Jan 2006 issue.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) V8 juice
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- SEASONED OYSTER CRACKERS:
- 3 cups oyster crackers
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ranch salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 9 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine stewed tomatoes and cream cheese; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter. Whisk in tomato soup and V8 until blended. Gradually stir in the cream cheese mixture, cream and basil. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil).
- In a large bowl, combine the crackers, oil, dressing mix, garlic powder and dill; toss to coat. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with crackers and mozzarella cheese. Yield: 9 servings (3 cups crackers).
Originally published as Cream of Tomato Soup in Light & Tasty
Reviews for Cream of Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review