Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) V8 juice
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- SEASONED OYSTER CRACKERS:
- 3 cups oyster crackers
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ranch salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 9 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine stewed tomatoes and cream cheese; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter. Whisk in tomato soup and V8 until blended. Gradually stir in the cream cheese mixture, cream and basil. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil).
- In a large bowl, combine the crackers, oil, dressing mix, garlic powder and dill; toss to coat. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with crackers and mozzarella cheese. Yield: 9 servings (3 cups crackers).
Reviews for Cream of Tomato Soup(2)
Sort By :
This is the best tomato soup ever. I have recommended this recipe to many and I also add that the seasoned oyster crackers are a MUST. When you first put the oyster crackers with the oil and other ingredients it seems extremely oily....don't worry...they turn out delicious and you will find yourself munching on them as a snack after the soup is gone.
My family loves grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. A couple of years ago we traveled to Galveston, TX where "Tomato Basil" soup is pretty popular in many of the local restaurants. I tried it, and loved it. When I came across this recipe, it was a must, and has been a much requested recipe ever since. With fall in the air, it will be making a repeat performance very soon. The only ingredient that I changed, or altered, was the stewed tomatoes (I pureed them first) because my hubby doesn't like chunks of tomato in anything. And the accompaning seasoned oyster crackers are a hit too (they are not as greasy as the traditional recipe for them that has been around for years). It does reheat well.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >