- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a food processor, combine 1 cup tomato sauce, tomatoes and basil. Cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a large saucepan; add butter and remaining tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Basil Soup in Taste of Home
Reviews for Cream of Tomato Basil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 17, 2013
This soup is awesome! You will never eat canned tomato soup again once you taste this. I made a lot of it and froze it since we had an abundance of fresh tomatoes from our garden. My son asks for it regularly.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >