- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a food processor, combine 1 cup tomato sauce, tomatoes and basil. Cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a large saucepan; add butter and remaining tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cream of Tomato Basil Soup
"I think I like the 6 ingredient Tomato Basil soup (on this website) better than this one. Might want to try adding some sugar to it."
"This soup is awesome! You will never eat canned tomato soup again once you taste this. I made a lot of it and froze it since we had an abundance of fresh tomatoes from our garden. My son asks for it regularly."