Cream of Potato & Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Optional toppings: salad croutons, crumbled cooked bacon and additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese and cream. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish servings with toppings of your choice. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cream of Potato & Cheddar Soup(5)
Sort By :
I was thrilled to see this was a crock-pot recipe but was disappointed that mine was not more of a chowder thickness. I was so wanting it to be a thicker soup and mine just wasn't. Its taste was okay, but I will lean more towards a baked potato soup over this one.
This was just alright. There are much better cheddar potato soup recipes on here than this one.
Add some grated carrots for flavor, texture, and color. Soup tastes even better the next day.
Bacon adds a wonderful smoky touch. This soup is very creamy and we used skim milk and fat free half and half. We had to substitute the cream of celery for cream of chicken but the switch worked well.
"For those who'd like to view a much quicker version of this recipe, here's the original recipe I had submitted. I like that it didn't take all day to cook this in my crock-pot."
Cream of Potato & Cheddar Cheese Soup
6 cups peeled, cubed, Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced celery (1 large stalk)
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of celery soup
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup half-and-half cream
1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
cheese garlic croutons, to garnish the soup (optional)
Add the cans of chicken broth to a 3-1/2 quart size crock-pot.
Add the garlic powder and white pepper as well. Then add the onion, celery, and potatoes. Stir in the cream of celery soup.
Cover the crock-pot. Cook on high for 3 hrs, or 3 hrs. & 15 mins., until the potatoes are cooked through.
Once the potatoes are cooked, add the half-and-half cream, and stir. Add the 1-1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, and stir.
Cover the crock-pot, and let set until the cheese melts. Once the cheese has melted, stir the soup.
Serve soup garnished with the cheese garlic flavored croutons, if desired.
This soup makes: 6 servings
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Soup >
- Potato Soup Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Simple Soup Recipes >