Cream of Potato & Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Optional toppings: salad croutons, crumbled cooked bacon and additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Combine the first seven ingredients in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Stir in cheese and cream. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish servings with toppings of your choice. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 212 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 475 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.