- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Optional toppings: salad croutons, crumbled cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon and additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese and cream. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish servings with toppings of your choice. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cream of Potato & Cheddar Soup
"The soup was ok, but I was hoping for a thicker & creamier base (more like chowder). It was very easy to make and can be done ahead of time. I made mine the night before, put it in the refrigerator, and then set it to cook in the morning. dinner was done when I got home! Not sure if I'd make it again, though."
"This was just alright. There are much better cheddar potato soup recipes on here than this one."
"Add some grated carrots for flavor, texture, and color. soup tastes even better the next day."
""For those who'd like to view a much quicker version of this recipe, here's the original recipe I had submitted. I like that it didn't take all day to cook this in my crock-pot."Cream of Potato & Cheddar Cheese soup6 cups peeled, cubed, Yukon Gold Potatoes1 cup diced red onion1/2 cup diced celery (1 large stalk)1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of celery soup1 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper1 cup half-and-half cream1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheesecheese garlic croutons, to garnish the soup (optional)Add the cans of chicken broth to a 3-1/2 quart size crock-pot.Add the garlic powder and white pepper as well. Then add the onion, celery, and potatoes. Stir in the cream of celery soup.Cover the crock-pot. Cook on high for 3 hrs, or 3 hrs. & 15 mins., until the potatoes are cooked through.Once the potatoes are cooked, add the half-and-half cream, and stir. Add the 1-1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, and stir.Cover the crock-pot, and let set until the cheese melts. Once the cheese has melted, stir the soup.Serve soup garnished with the cheese garlic flavored croutons, if desired.This soup makes: 6 servings"