- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Optional toppings: salad croutons, crumbled cooked bacon and additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese and cream. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish servings with toppings of your choice. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cream of Potato & Cheddar Soup
"The soup was ok, but I was hoping for a thicker & creamier base (more like chowder). It was very easy to make and can be done ahead of time. I made mine the night before, put it in the refrigerator, and then set it to cook in the morning. Dinner was done when I got home! Not sure if I'd make it again, though."
"I was thrilled to see this was a crock-pot recipe but was disappointed that mine was not more of a chowder thickness. I was so wanting it to be a thicker soup and mine just wasn't. Its taste was okay, but I will lean more towards a baked potato soup over this one."
"This was just alright. There are much better cheddar potato soup recipes on here than this one."
"Add some grated carrots for flavor, texture, and color. Soup tastes even better the next day."
"Bacon adds a wonderful smoky touch. This soup is very creamy and we used skim milk and fat free half and half. We had to substitute the cream of celery for cream of chicken but the switch worked well."