Cream of Pea Soup
Field editor Edie DeSpain of Logan, Utah suggests, "This creamy soup is nice for supper on a chilly night. It's so simple to make with canned peas."
4-5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Drain peas, reserving 1/3 cup liquid. Place peas and liquid in a
- blender or food processor; cover and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the
- flour, sugar, salt, pepper and sage until blended. Gradually add
- water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Stir in milk and pureed peas; heat through. Garnish with
- bacon. Yield: 4-5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 278 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 694 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.