Cream of Mushroom Soup
I love to experiment with recipes. I developed this recipe after years of trying many different combinations of ingredients.—Jim Cosgrove, Burlington, Ontario
16-18 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 9 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large kettle, saute garlic in 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions,
- celery and green pepper; saute until tender. Add mushrooms; saute
- for 5 minutes. Stir in broth and simmer for 20 minutes. In a
- saucepan, melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture
- comes to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Add to mushroom mixture; stir
- in seasonings. Yield: 16-18 servings (4-3/4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 220 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.