Cream of Lentil Soup Recipe
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the broth, lentils, bay leaf and clove. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until crisp-tender. Add the carrots, salt, sugar, curry powder and pepper; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- 3. Drain lentils; discard bay leaf and clove. Add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the spinach, cream, lemon juice and parsley; cook over low heat until heated through and spinach is wilted. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup: 338 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 14g fiber), 15g protein
Reviews for Cream of Lentil Soup
"Loved this soup. This will be a staple recipe. I think next time I will throw in some bacon"
"Loved the soup, especially the subtle curry flavor. I also felt the 1-1/2 cups of cream did not make the soup "soupy" enough so I added what was left of the broth that I had drained. I also substituted light cream for the heavy cream. I will definately make this soup again."
"I'm never going to cook lentis any other way. This is one of the best recipes I have tried."
"Ok, I got it. You do have to throw away the broth (it's got an earthy flavour, not so nice). The soup tastes great, btw."
"I am making the soup right now and I'm not sure whether I should discard the broth in which I boiled the lentils. Will I really get 2 1/2 quarts of soup if I throw that away? Is the recipe badly written? Am I missing something here?"
"This recipe appealed to me because it was so different from the usual tomato-based lentil soup recipes. We really enjoyed it. The only problem I had was that the 1 -1/2 cups of cream did not make the mixture "soupy" enough. I had used evaporated milk rather than cream, but that should have made no difference. I added perhaps another cup of fat-free half & half to make the soup liquid enough. It was delicious, however! The seasonings are very subtle but are just right."