Cream of Lentil Soup Recipe
Lentil lovers will want a second bowl of this nourishing soup with a subtle touch of curry. It looks particularly appealing thanks to the color the fresh spinach adds. —Kim Russell, North Wales, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the broth, lentils, bay leaf and clove. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until crisp-tender. Add the carrots, salt, sugar, curry powder and pepper; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- 3. Drain lentils; discard bay leaf and clove. Add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the spinach, cream, lemon juice and parsley; cook over low heat until heated through and spinach is wilted. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 338 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 704 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC