Cream of Leek Soup
My husband discovered this wonderful soup recipe on a cold winter day. It is wonderful served hot with a slice of french bread or with croutons and bacon bits.Karen Turner, Grand Junction, Colorado
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 12 medium leeks (white portion only)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- Cut leeks into 1/4-in. slices. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute
- leeks and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, nutmeg,
- salt and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly. Gradually add broth;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender
- until smooth; return to pan. Add milk and cream; heat through.
- Garnish with chives. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 tablespoon) equals 165 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 756 mg sodium,