Cream of Leek Soup Recipe
- 12 medium leeks (white portion only)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 1. Cut leeks into 1/4-in. slices. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute leeks and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Add milk and cream; heat through. Garnish with chives. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 tablespoon: 165 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 756mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Cream of Leek Soup
"The soup didn't come out quite as thick as I expected, so next time I'll decrease the liquid a little, but the flavor is fantastic."