- 12 medium leeks (white portion only)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- Cut leeks into 1/4-in. slices. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute leeks and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Add milk and cream; heat through. Garnish with chives. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Cream of Leek Soup in Birds & Blooms February/March 2000, p55
Reviews for Cream of Leek Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2012
"The soup didn't come out quite as thick as I expected, so next time I'll decrease the liquid a little, but the flavor is fantastic."