Cream of Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
We were at a restaurant, and my husband exclaimed, “You can make better soup than this!” A challenge! We began discussing what we’d add and take out, and soon came up with this comforting soup.
- 2 medium onions
- 2 celery ribs
- 4 cups water
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. Chop one onion and one celery rib; set aside. Cut remaining onion and celery into chunks; place in a Dutch oven. Add the water, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and strain broth; set both aside.
- 2. In the same pan, saute chopped onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the canned broth, carrot, potato, bouillon, basil and reserved broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add noodles. Return to a boil; cook for 6-8 minutes or until noodles are tender. Cut chicken into chunks; add to soup. Stir in 1-1/4 cups milk; heat through.
- 4. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; add to soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 207 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 958 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Cream of Chicken Noodle Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC