Cream of Cauliflower Soup
"This mildly cheesy cauliflower soup is one of my favorites," writes Karen Brown of West Lafayette, Ohio. "I first served it for a bridge luncheon, but it's not just appealing to women. Guys, including my two sons and husband, enjoy it, too. I make it often in summer, although it's good anytime."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup green onions (tops only)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/4 cups frozen cauliflower, thawed and chopped
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, optional
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and
- salt until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- Add cauliflower; simmer for 2 minutes. Add the milk and cheese; cook
- and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in sherry if desired. Garnish
- with chives. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 190 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 706 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.