Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1/3 cup green onions (tops only)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/4 cups frozen cauliflower, thawed and chopped
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, optional
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- 2. Add cauliflower; simmer for 2 minutes. Add the milk and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in sherry if desired. Garnish with chives. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 190 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Cream of Cauliflower Soup
"Delicious! Thanks Karen for sharing the recipe. I added some shredded carrot and a diced potato. I served it with Hawaiian Rolls."
"If you use low fat or fake cheese spray with veg. Oil spray or olive oil in your own mister. Every second of spray is 7 cal. But helps melt even fake cheese. Add a little crumbled crunchy bacon and try a little sharp or extra sharp cheddar. I wouldn't have 1% in my house. Our local dairy Braums has 2% that tastes better than whole milk from Walmart. Really good soup."
"I made this without cheese and used lactose free milk. I had to substitute vegetable broth because I was out of chicken broth and used a package of broccoli and cauliflower since that is what the store had. Overall, very good! I would definitely make this again."
"Just made it without the sherry. Love it!"
"This recipe looked so good but I wound up being disappointed. Like Rosaliemary, the low-fat cheese didn't melt,,,,I ended up with huge soft clumps of cheese with long rubbery strings. Plus, I used skim milk because that is what we drink so the soup was almost watery.( That was my fault.) I will try a different recipe in the future and will NEVER use low-fat cheese in a soup again!"
"Love this soup! It is my favorite soup ever! The only problem I had run into the first time I made it was that the reduced-fat cheddar cheese didn't melt into the soup, so now I use regular cheddar and it's perfect!"
"Very good. A change of pace from cream of broccoli soup."
"I tried it with left over mixed vegetables. Works great"
"I thought this was good, but I made a few small changes: used low sodium chicken broth, cooked cauliflower a little longer, and added some instant potato flakes to thicken because it seemed watery. I would definitely make this again."
"very easy and good! used a box of chopped broccolli instead..and added 2 TBsp of hot sauce (love everything spicy), and used fat free soy milk."