- 1/3 cup green onions (tops only)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/4 cups frozen cauliflower, thawed and chopped
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, optional
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
- Add cauliflower; simmer for 2 minutes. Add the milk and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in sherry if desired. Garnish with chives. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cream of Cauliflower Soup
"Delicious! Thanks Karen for sharing the recipe. I added some shredded carrot and a diced potato. I served it with Hawaiian Rolls."
"If you use low fat or fake cheese spray with veg. Oil spray or olive oil in your own mister. Every second of spray is 7 cal. But helps melt even fake cheese. Add a little crumbled crunchy bacon and try a little sharp or extra sharp cheddar. I wouldn't have 1% in my house. Our local dairy Braums has 2% that tastes better than whole milk from Walmart. Really good soup."
"I made this without cheese and used lactose free milk. I had to substitute vegetable broth because I was out of chicken broth and used a package of broccoli and cauliflower since that is what the store had. Overall, very good! I would definitely make this again."
"Just made it without the sherry. Love it!"
"This recipe looked so good but I wound up being disappointed. Like Rosaliemary, the low-fat cheese didn't melt,,,,I ended up with huge soft clumps of cheese with long rubbery strings. Plus, I used skim milk because that is what we drink so the soup was almost watery.( That was my fault.) I will try a different recipe in the future and will NEVER use low-fat cheese in a soup again!"