Cream of Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled rutabaga
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- Additional milk, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add potatoes, onion, rutabaga and carrots. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cabbage, celery and green pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic, salt and dill. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour; cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring until smooth. Add cheese, thyme and pepper; cook on low until cheese is melted. Stir into vegetable mixture; simmer for 5 minutes. Thin with milk if needed. Yield: 12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Cream of Cabbage Soup(7)
Sort By :
I didn't know what to do with the cabbage and rutabaga from my CSA basket and thought I'd give this recipe a try. My family, though initially dubious of cabbage soup, LOVED it. I've shared this recipe with other family members and it gets rave reviews every time. I'm not a huge dill fan so I substituted Thyme...and it's just as good.
Yummy, yummy soup!!! Thanks for the recipe it is a keeper!
Best soup ever!! The rutabaga is the best! Try it!
Took it to a church dinner today and everyone LOVED it.
Left out the green pepper (we don't like), replaced rutabaga w/ additional potato & carrot and used cheddar instead of Velveeta. Good hearty soup, very tasty, a little different.