- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced peeled rutabaga
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- Additional milk, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add potatoes, onion, rutabaga and carrots. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cabbage, celery and green pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic, salt and dill. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour; cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring until smooth. Add cheese, thyme and pepper; cook on low until cheese is melted. Stir into vegetable mixture; simmer for 5 minutes. Thin with milk if needed. Yield: 12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Cream of Cabbage Soup
"I didn't know what to do with the cabbage and rutabaga from my CSA basket and thought I'd give this recipe a try. My family, though initially dubious of cabbage soup, LOVED it. I've shared this recipe with other family members and it gets rave reviews every time. I'm not a huge dill fan so I substituted Thyme...and it's just as good."
"Yummy, yummy soup!!! Thanks for the recipe it is a keeper!"
"Best soup ever!! The rutabaga is the best! Try it!"
"Left out the green pepper (we don't like), replaced rutabaga w/ additional potato & carrot and used cheddar instead of Velveeta. Good hearty soup, very tasty, a little different."
"For heavens sake - get a life. No one is forcing you to make this soup."
"I realize big families have to make do with what they have and can afford. But somewhere along the line the cook has to be responsible for the excess in things not so good for you- in this case, the sodium and fat...JMO"