Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. Add the broccoli, tarragon, thyme and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Add milk; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; heat through. Reduce heat. Add 1 cup of cheese; stir just until melted. Serve immediately. Garnish with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 202 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 340 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 1/2 fat.