Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the leeks in butter. Add broth, asparagus, potatoes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth; return to the pan. Add milk; cook over low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 178 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 748 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.