- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Whole cloves, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs until well blended. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until well blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla if desired. Gradually add cornstarch mixture, beating until smooth.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle 1 in. deep in the top of each cupcake. Carefully remove tops and set aside. Spoon or pipe filling into cupcakes. Replace tops. If desired, add a clove "pumpkin stem" to the tops. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cream-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes
Sort By :
"These were a hit with my family. They are very moist. I used 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon in the batter. I used a little less sugar in the batter, but still found them a bit too sweet. Next time I would cut it down to 1 2/3 cup sugar. After reading the comments, I chose to make my regular cream cheese icing instead of the one on the original recipe.I have made these several times since. They freeze well."
"These are excellent! I put bailey's irish cream cheese frosting on them! These will definitely go into my make again file!"
"I've been making these cupcakes for several years now, they are my family's favorite, very moist and flavorful...for the frosting in the middle however I use a cream cheese filling, one (8oz) cream cheese, one cup powdered sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, one teaspoon of vanilla, mix all together and pipe in cupcakes.."