- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- GANACHE FROSTING:
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Prepare and bake cake batter according to package directions, using paper-lined muffin cups. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine water and salt until salt is dissolved. Cool. In a small bowl, beat the marshmallow creme, shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy; beat in the salt mixture.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round pastry tip. Fill the bag with cream filling. Push the tip through the bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature or until ganache reaches a dipping consistency.
- Dip cupcake tops in ganache; chill for 20 minutes or until set. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Cream-Filled Cupcakes
"I used butter instead of shortening it was amazing I had a lot left over so I used it for the frosting as well. I probably could have put more inside the cupcake but it was my first time so I was a little unsure. I also made a chocolate ganache for the top as well for some again amazing. Will definitely keep this recipe"
"Not all that impressed. I was hoping for a more marshmallow flavor in the filling. Ganache was runny"
"They are so good and so easy. My husband loves them. I used butter instead of shortening for the filling and they turned out great."
"If you LOVE chocolate then this is the recipe for you. Easy to make and delicious!!!"
"I have made these many times."
"the best cupcakes in the world. i have never made the frosting on receipe. i use 1 stick butter 2 cups choc chips,warm it on stove till melted then let cool. holy yum. its the kids fav"
"Filling recipe is horrible. It tastes like pure shortening. I even added extra powdered sugar."
"The recipe states to fill through the bottom, but you just stab through the top. Someone asked for a tip with the ganache, here's what I did. I followed the recipe up until it said to "allow" it to cool. Well, I had no time to wait, so I filled a large bowl with ice-water, put the ganache in a Pyrex measuring cup, and then put the glass cup inside the ice filled bowl, and whisked away. It took about 5 minutes of whisking, but it got a wonderful spreading consistency, almost like a thick sour cream texture. I just took a spoon and plotched it on the cupcakes and spread it around! I think the extra whipping I did also made it more fluffy, which was great! Hubby and kids chowed on them and said "don't wait so long to make those again!""
"Sorry, I was looking at another filling when I asked this question."
"Just want to know before I make them that if I wanted to add a flavor such as cherry or whatever, what would I use and also do I need to use whole milk or will 2% do?"