Cream-Filled Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- CREAM FILLING:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, 1/3 cup sugar, butter and salt; stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the yeast, warm water and remaining sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the milk and yeast mixtures, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the sugars, flour and cinnamon; cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set topping aside. Punch dough down; divide in half. Pat or roll each portion to fit a greased 9-in. round baking pan. With a fork, pierce tops; sprinkle with topping. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened; cool. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat until fluffy. Split each cake into two horizontal layers; spread each with half the filling. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 cakes.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 206 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Cream-Filled Coffee Cake
"I had high expectations for this recipe given the description. The "cake" is a heavier sweet bread that took almost 2 hours to rise in my oven proofer. The standard cinamon topping was nice. The "cream" filling does not contain any cream but a thick milk and flour mixture that did not produce a light-whipped filling. Even after adding additional powder sugar, the filling turned into a dense buttercream frosting. The over all flavor of the bread is good but as is the topping, but I cannot recommend this recipe. I am a seasoned baker and enjoy new recipes, however this one is not a keeper."
"I especially like this recipe for the holidays because it can be fixed ahead. My family and guests are always impressed."