Cream-Filled Coffee Cake Recipe
Need to take a spectacular coffee cake to an early morning gathering? Bake this coffee cake several days ahead, slice each in half and freeze. Early the day of the event, prepare the filling and spread over the thawed cakes. Then just refrigerate filled coffee cakes until ready to serve.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- CREAM FILLING:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, 1/3 cup sugar, butter and salt; stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the yeast, warm water and remaining sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the milk and yeast mixtures, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the sugars, flour and cinnamon; cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set topping aside. Punch dough down; divide in half. Pat or roll each portion to fit a greased 9-in. round baking pan. With a fork, pierce tops; sprinkle with topping. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened; cool. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat until fluffy. Split each cake into two horizontal layers; spread each with half the filling. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 cakes.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 206 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC